Sexual Assault at San Jose State
Going to school at San Jose State University (SJSU) should be a fun and exciting time for a student. It should not expose you to the risk of serious, life-changing crimes, such as sexual assault or abuse. Unfortunately, lax safety protocols, student supervision and campus security measures at SJSU put students at risk. If you have experienced sexual assault at San Jose State, such as unwanted sexual touching or rape, contact Manly, Stewart & Finaldi to schedule a free case consultation with one of our attorneys.
How Can a University Sexual Assault Lawyer Help Me?
It can be difficult to come forward and go public with your story as a sexual assault survivor. You are dealing with an incredible amount of emotional trauma from the incident. With assistance from our attorneys, however, you will remain in control of your legal experience. You can choose to have your identity known or remain anonymous, for example. We will represent you during every stage of the legal process to protect your rights, from investigating the incident and filing your lawsuit to demanding maximum financial compensation for your losses. Your goals are our goals at Manly, Stewart & Finaldi.
What Is Sexual Assault?
Sexual assault refers to touching, fondling or other types of contact with someone’s intimate parts without that person’s consent or against his or her will. Intimate parts refer to sexual organs, the anus and a female’s breasts. Sexual assault in a university setting can take many forms, including:
- Sexual harassment or discrimination
- Inappropriate sexual touching
- Sexually suggestive comments, jokes or remarks
- Sexual pressure or quid pro quo harassment by a professor
- Assault or abuse by a professor, administrator or staff member
- Assault by a fellow student
- Sexual assault by a stranger due to a lack of campus security
- Rape, sodomy or attempted rape
- Spousal rape
- Dorm or student housing sexual assault
- Parking lot sexual assault
- Drug-assisted rape (“date rape”)
- Hazing involving sexual assault
- Sports or coach sexual assault
- University medical center sexual assault
- Sexual assault at a school-sponsored function
If you experienced any type of sexual misconduct or behaviors that made you uncomfortable while at San Jose State, discuss your legal options with an attorney. You may be eligible for financial compensation from the perpetrator and/or the university for failing to protect you.
Reporting Sexual Assault or Abuse at San Jose State
If you suffer any type of sexual abuse or assault while at San Jose State, take these steps to report the incident and get help:
1. Talk to someone. Don’t try to cope with sexual assault alone. Tell someone you know and trust about what happened, like a friend or relative.
2. Report it to the school. File a report with San Jose State’s Title IX and Gender Equity Office. You should also contact the University Police at (408) 924-2222 to file a report.
3. Get confidential support. If you need support services, confidential helplines exist at SJSU. Schedule an appointment with a Confidential Survivor Advocate by emailing email@example.com or calling (407) 924-5021.
4. Seek medical attention. Within the first 120 hours (5 days) after sexual assault at SJSU, visit the Santa Clara Valley Medical Center or another hospital that has a sexual assault response team. A forensic exam can collect any available evidence that is on your person.
5. Contact a Silicon Valley sexual assault lawyer. When you’re ready to take legal action against the assailant and/or university, contact an attorney in San Jose at (800) 700-8450 for legal advice and assistance.
There are multiple outlets available for medical assistance and support as a survivor of sexual assault on the San Jose State University campus. Don’t be afraid to get help.
Contact Manly, Stewart & Finaldi After Sexual Assault at San Jose State
As a sexual assault or abuse survivor, you can benefit from hiring a dedicated and experienced attorney to represent you. Manly, Stewart & Finaldi has been a trusted source of high-quality legal representation in this practice area for over 25 years. We have what it takes to handle any type of sexual assault case, including going up against a college or university in California. Our firm represents other Silicon Valley college sexual abuse survivors, including sexual assault at Stanford and Santa Clara University sexual assault cases. Contact us today to learn more about your San Jose State sexual assault case during a free and confidential consultation.