San Jose Sexual Assault Attorney
As a survivor of sexual assault or sexual abuse, you deserve justice. At Manly, Stewart & Finaldi, we provide survivors with the support that they need to file lawsuits against their perpetrators and the institutions that perpetuated abuse. We understand the lifelong effects that sexual assault can have on your life and can help you fight for a brighter future.
If you or someone you love is a survivor of sexual assault or abuse, please contact an experienced San Jose sexual assault attorney at our law firm for a free, 100% confidential consultation. We will advocate for justice on your behalf.
Why Trust Manly, Stewart & Finaldi With Your Sexual Assault Claim?
- Our sexual assault and sexual abuse attorneys have represented clients for more than 20 years. We know how to handle all types of sexual assault cases.
- We will provide you with personal attention, tailored legal services and answers to your questions. We will make sure you have everything that you need during this difficult time.
- If requested, we can keep your case and identity 100% confidential. We understand the incredibly personal nature of sexual assault cases and the importance of anonymity for some clients.
What Is Sexual Abuse?
The definition of sexual abuse is forcing a victim to engage in sexual acts without the victim’s consent (California Penal Code Section 261). Sexual abuse can refer to many different criminal acts, including rape and molestation. Typically, the term sexual abuse is used to describe a pattern of sexual abuse against a victim rather than an isolated incident.
Sexual assault is a different crime, defined by California Penal Code Section 243.4 as touching the intimate part of another person against the victim’s will or while unlawfully restrained by the perpetrator (or an accomplice) and for the purpose of sexual arousal or gratification. You have the right to file a civil claim in pursuit of financial compensation as a survivor of sexual abuse or assault in San Jose. Learn more by speaking with a San Jose sexual abuse attorney.
How a San Jose Sexual Assault Lawyer Can Help
An experienced San Jose sexual assault lawyer will know exactly how to handle your case from start to finish. Your lawyer can take over complicated legal processes for you while you focus on your physical and emotional healing. Your lawyer can help you with many tasks, including:
- Determining the person or party liable for your losses.
- Creating a compelling case and comprehensive legal strategy.
- Determining and pursuing the maximum possible financial compensation.
- Hiring qualified experts to provide the assistance that you need.
- Negotiating with the defendant(s) on your behalf.
- Keeping your case private for your safety, if desired.
At Manly, Stewart & Finaldi, our award-winning California sexual abuse attorneys will help in any way we can. You can count on us to guide you through the legal process while preserving your rights and best interests.
Types of Sexual Assault Cases We Handle
We can address your needs no matter what type of sexual assault or sexual abuse case you have. Our San Jose sexual abuse lawyers have years of experience specializing in this practice area. We accept all of the following case types and more:
- All sex crimes, including rape
- Child sexual abuse
- Elder sexual abuse
- Nursing home sexual abuse
- Rideshare sexual assault cases
- Workplace sexual abuse and harassment
- Clergy sexual abuse
- School sexual abuse
- Youth organization sexual abuse
We aren’t afraid to go up against any institution in pursuit of justice for our clients, including sports organizations, large corporations and entities with aggressive legal teams. We can go to trial on your behalf, if necessary.
Warning Signs of Sexual Assault
If you are the parent of a teenager or small child, stay on the lookout for possible signs of sexual assault or abuse. These signs may include:
- Bruising or injuries to the genital areas
- Unusual knowledge of sexual subjects for the child’s age
- Signs of post-traumatic stress disorder, such as nightmares
- Mental health problems, such as depression or anxiety
- Changes in mood or outbursts
- Tobacco, drugs or alcohol use
- Poor performance in school
- Suicidal thoughts or actions
- Sexually transmitted diseases
While one or two of these signs may not necessarily point to sexual assault, it is always worth having a conversation with your child about potential sexual abuse.
What To Do if You Were Sexually Abused
Although you can feel stressed, overwhelmed and frightened after surviving sexual assault or abuse, it is important to take certain steps to ensure your safety and protect your legal rights, if possible:
- Prioritize your safety. Call a close friend or family member and go to a safe place.
- Ask for support. Turn to a loved one or national hotline for the support that you need.
- Go to a hospital. You need treatment for any injuries, as well as a sexual assault forensic exam to gather any DNA evidence from the perpetrator.
- Report the attack to the police. Coming forward can be difficult, but it is important to obtain a police report for sexual assault or abuse.
- Call a lawyer. Once you are safe and have alerted the authorities, contact a San Jose sexual assault attorney for legal assistance
If you cannot follow these steps on your own, help is available. There are professionals who are trained in helping sexual assault survivors, including doctors, nurses and sexual abuse counselors. You can also turn to an attorney for assistance.
Time Limits for Filing a Sexual Abuse Claim in California
California recently extended its time limit for survivors filing civil sexual assault and abuse claims. If you were sexually abused before the age of 18, you will have until your 40th birthday to file a civil lawsuit or five years from the date that you discover the abuse. If you are sexually abused or assaulted as an adult, you will have 10 years from the date of your incident to file a claim. California’s civil statutes of limitations can be confusing. Consult with a local sexual assault lawyer in San Jose for further information.
Compensation for San Jose Survivors of Sexual Abuse
Filing a sexual abuse lawsuit is not only about the money; holding a perpetrator and/or institution accountable can also bring you justice and closure. However, you can benefit from obtaining financial compensation for several losses, including medical expenses (i.e. medical care, therapy and medications), losses of income, pain and suffering, emotional distress, and loss of consortium. You may be eligible for compensation through the CalVCB (Victim Compensation Board) program if the defendant does not have the funds to reimburse you.
Contact a Sexual Abuse Lawyer in San Jose, CA Today
Sexual assault and sexual abuse are devastating crimes that can have a long-lasting impact on your life. At Manly, Stewart & Finaldi, we can give you a voice in the civil justice system and help you pursue the future that you deserve. For information tailored to your specific case and needs, contact our sexual abuse attorneys to schedule a free and confidential consultation. Call our law office at (800) 700-8450 or contact us online today.