San Francisco Sexual Assault Attorney
Sexual assault is a crime that can have devastating impacts on a survivor. If you suffered sexual assault or abuse, a local San Francisco sexual assault attorney at Manly, Stewart & Finaldi can help. We can provide the support, information and legal assistance that you need to protect your future and move forward from a difficult time in your life.
If you or someone you love is a survivor of sexual assault in California, please contact us for a free and entirely confidential consultation. We can fight for the justice and accountability that you deserve.
Why Trust Manly, Stewart & Finaldi With Your Sexual Assault Claim?
- We specialize in sexual assault and abuse cases, giving us unique experience and insights into these practice areas. We have represented hundreds of survivors in California.
- Our California sexual abuse lawyers fight for maximum results on behalf of their clients. We have obtained more than $2 billion in successful settlements and jury verdicts.
- We understand the emotional nature of these cases and can keep your identity 100 percent anonymous if desired.
What Is Sexual Abuse?
Sexual abuse is the crime of one person pressuring, forcing, or coercing a victim into sexual acts without the victim’s consent. Sexual abuse typically refers to multiple incidents of sexual assault against the same victim over a period of time, particularly when the victim is a child. Sexual assault refers to any unwanted or nonconsensual touching of a victim’s private parts. Examples of sexual abuse include unwanted kissing, touching or fondling; rape or attempted rape; sexual contact with someone who has been drugged; and child molestation. As a survivor of sexual abuse, you have the right to file a lawsuit for financial compensation. Learn more by consulting with a local San Francisco sexual abuse lawyer.
How a San Francisco Sexual Assault Lawyer Can Help
Sexual abuse and assault are crimes in the State of California that can lead to criminal charges against a perpetrator and penalties such as jail time and fines. As a survivor, you also have the right to file a civil claim against the perpetrator and/or the institution that did nothing to stop the abuse. A civil claim can hold someone accountable for the crime by making them pay for your related losses.
If you wish to file a civil claim, a sexual assault attorney in San Francisco can help you in many important ways. An attorney can investigate the incident and identify the correct defendant(s), as well as gather evidence to build a strong claim on your behalf. An attorney can also take over communications and negotiations with the defendant while keeping your identity private if you wish.
Types of Sexual Assault Cases We Handle
At Manly, Stewart & Finaldi, we can help if you are the survivor of any form of sexual assault or abuse. We can also help if your child is the victim. Our San Francisco sexual abuse lawyers have experience handling many different types of cases within this practice area, including:
- All sex crimes, including internet sex crimes
- Rideshare sexual assault
- Child sexual abuse and molestation
- School sexual abuse
- Foster care sexual abuse
- Clergy sexual abuse
- Boy Scouts of America and other youth organizations sexual abuse
- Sports sexual abuse
- Workplace sexual assault and harassment
- Elder and nursing home sexual abuse
Our attorneys can go up against any party or entity in pursuit of justice and financial compensation. We aren’t afraid of going up against large and powerful institutions and have represented hundreds of survivors in clergy abuse cases throughout California.
Warning Signs of Sexual Assault
It is important to be aware of common signs of sexual assault if you are a parent or teacher. Children and teens often do not come forward to report sexual abuse. Instead, it is up to the adults around them to notice the signs of this crime, such as:
- Unexplained injuries, especially on or near the genitalia
- Torn or bloody undergarments
- Sexual terms or knowledge that does not match the child’s age
- Nightmares, regression or signs of post-traumatic stress disorder
- Unexplained weight loss or gain
- Unkempt appearance or lack of self-care
- Sudden changes in mood or personality, including outbursts and mood swings
- Signs of depression, anxiety, withdrawal or suicidal thoughts
- Substance abuse
- Urinary tract infections or sexually transmitted diseases
- Teen pregnancy or promiscuous behavior
The warning signs of sexual abuse will change according to the age of the child and the severity of the case. If you suspect sexual assault or abuse, have an open conversation with your child. Let your child know that it is a safe place and he or she is not in trouble.
What to Do If You Were Sexually Abused
If you were sexually abused or assaulted, there are steps you can take to protect your legal rights. These include steps for the immediate aftermath of sexual assault as well as steps if the abuse occurred years ago:
- Get to a safe place. Your safety is the top priority. Go to a trusted friend or family member’s home or have them come to you.
- Ask for help. Don’t be afraid to ask for help from trained professionals who know what to do. You can call the National Sexual Assault Hotline, for example.
- Call 911. Speaking up against sexual violence can be difficult, but it is important if you wish to bring the perpetrator to justice.
- Go to a hospital. Have a friend accompany you to a hospital for a sexual assault forensic exam within at least three days of the attack.
- Consult with an attorney. Once you have ensured your safety and health, consult with a San Francisco sexual assault attorney for assistance.
If a friend or loved one comes to you with a story of sexual assault or abuse, believe them. Help your friend get the professional assistance he or she needs, including representation from a sexual assault lawyer near you.
Time Limits for Filing a Sexual Abuse Claim in California
There is a statewide time limit on filing a civil sexual assault or abuse claim in California. Currently, you have until your 40th birthday or five years from the date you discovered the abuse if you were under the age of 18 at the time of the crime. If you were over 18, you have 10 years from the most recent act of sexual assault or abuse to file.
Compensation for San Francisco Survivors of Sexual Assault
Our San Francisco sexual abuse attorneys understand that no amount of money can make up for living through sexual abuse or assault. Obtaining compensation through a civil lawsuit, however, can give you the justice, accountability and closure you need to move forward. You may be eligible for financial compensation for your medical expenses, pain and suffering, emotional distress, lost wages, legal fees, and more. If the defendant cannot afford a settlement or verdict, you may be able to recover through CalVCB instead.
Contact a Sexual Assault Attorney in San Francisco, CA Today
If you or a loved one is a survivor of sexual assault or abuse in San Francisco, CA, don’t hesitate to contact us. The experienced San Francisco sexual assault lawyers at Manly, Stewart & Finaldi can help you through every step of a civil lawsuit in the pursuit of justice and maximum financial compensation. Schedule your free consultation today by calling (800) 700-8450 or contacting us online anytime.