Monterey Sexual Abuse Lawyer
Manly, Stewart & Finaldi is a team of caring and compassionate sexual abuse and assault attorneys in Monterey, California. As your lawyers, we will inform you of your rights and help you take legal action against the individual who assaulted you as well as an institution that failed to protect you. We are highly experienced sexual abuse and assault lawyers with a long track record of success. Find out how we can help you with your specific case by telling your story during a free, confidential consultation. We will believe you.
What Is Sexual Abuse?
Sexual abuse is a phrase that is often used interchangeably with sexual assault. On a legal level, however, sexual abuse generally refers to an ongoing pattern of abuse rather than a single incident of sexual assault. “Sexual abuse” is most often applied to cases involving child victims, such as ongoing child molestation. Sexual abuse can also apply to victimized adults, however.
You may be a victim of sexual abuse if you experienced any form of sex crime, violence or misconduct against you, including inappropriate touching, sexual activity without your consent, rape or attempted rape, spousal rape, statutory rape, sodomy, groping or fondling of your private parts, or sexual harassment. As a victim of sexual abuse in Monterey, you may be eligible for financial compensation through a civil lawsuit.
What to Do if You’ve Been Sexually Abused in Monterey, California
If you are a victim of sexual abuse in Monterey, come forward with assistance from our dedicated lawyers. At Manly, Stewart & Finaldi, you can customize your legal experience so that you always feel comfortable and in control. We will keep your identity confidential, for example, throughout your case if desired. We will let you know exactly what to do after this type of trauma. Here are three of the first steps to take:
1. Get help. Put your safety and wellness first. Get to a safe place, confide in a trusted friend or family member, and reach out to a professional such as the national sexual assault hotline (1-800-656-4673) for assistance.
2. Report it. If you were sexually abused at an institution, such as a school, university, church, Boys and Girls Club, or medical facility, file an official complaint with administrators. Call the police in Monterey to file an official report, as well.
3. Obtain medical care. If it is within 120 hours of the sexual assault, go to a medical facility in Monterey that has a sexual assault response team that can provide a forensic exam (also known as a “rape kit”).
After completing these steps, consider filing a sexual abuse lawsuit in Monterey County. Taking legal action can seem daunting, but it is often the best way to obtain justice and closure for your trauma, as well as to hold a perpetrator and/or institution accountable. Consult with an attorney for more information about your case and legal rights. We will stand by your side throughout the recovery process.
Sexual Abuse Resources in Monterey, CA
- Monterey County Rape Crisis Center. Call the 24-hour hotline at (831) 375-4357 to report sexual abuse, human trafficking or child abuse and get help.
- YWCA of Monterey County. Call the 24-hour hotline at (831) 372-6300 or (831) 757-1001 for assistance.
- DA Victim Advocates. Contact the District Attorney’s Office to discuss pressing charges at (831) 755-5072 for the Salinas Office or (831) 385-8325 for the King City Office.
- The Community Hospital of the Monterey Peninsula. A hospital that offers sexual assault forensic exams (“rape kits”), which must be performed by trained professionals.
- Sexual abuse support groups in Monterey. Use this list of active support groups and therapists in your area to get the support that you need.
Speak to a Monterey Sexual Abuse Attorney Today
Bringing a civil lawsuit for the sexual abuse that you endured in Monterey, California can hold one or more parties accountable for the terrible crime committed against you. For more information about taking legal action, contact Manly, Stewart & Finaldi to request a free case evaluation. Speak to a sexual abuse lawyer directly by calling our Monterey office location at (831) 215-2150.