Sexual Assault on BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit)
If you have experienced sexual assault, sexual harassment, rape or other forms of sexual violence while riding on the Bay Area Rapid Transit (BART) system, you may be eligible for financial compensation. The attorneys at Manly, Stewart & Finaldi can represent you in and out of court to pursue the best possible results for your BART sexual assault case. We are dedicated to helping clients pursue justice for traumatic sex crimes committed against them on BART in San Francisco. Contact us today for a free and confidential sexual assault case review with an attorney.
Why Clients Choose Us
- We are a nationally renowned sexual assault plaintiff’s law firm. We have obtained groundbreaking results for our clients – including some of the largest settlements and verdicts in the history of this practice area.
- Our San Francisco sexual abuse lawyers have the experience and dedication to take on any defendant, including the San Francisco Bay Area Rapid Transit District. We are prepared to go to trial on our client’s behalf, if necessary.
- You won’t pay us a dime for our legal services unless we win your case. Our BART sexual assault lawyers operate on a contingency fee basis, with $0 charged in upfront fees. If we do win your case, you will pay us directly out of the settlement or judgment award obtained.
Examples of Sexual Assault on BART or Public Transit
In California, sexual assault is the crime of touching the private parts of another person without his or her consent. It can also refer to nonphysical sex crimes, such as verbal harassment or voyeurism (watching someone undress or engage in sexual activity). Sexual assault can take place anywhere, including on public transportation systems such as BART. Examples of these crimes include:
- Lewd and lascivious acts
- Verbal sexual assault
- Sexual harassment
- Sexual touching or unwanted contact
- Sexual assault or battery
- Rape or attempted rape
- Public indecency
- Public masturbation
- Exposure of sexual organs on public transit
- Child molestation
- Sex trafficking
Someone who commits sexual assault in any form against a victim on BART can face criminal charges in California. It is also possible for the victim to file a civil lawsuit against the perpetrator and/or institution – such as the authority in charge of BART – to pursue financial compensation for sexual assault.
Who Is Liable for Sexual Assault on BART?
In 2021, BART started the “Not One More Girl” campaign to spread awareness and education about sexual harassment and assault on public transit. One year later, BART announced that its initiative had reduced harassment and improved the perception of safety on public transit. However, a large percentage of women still feel unsafe and experience harassment and assaults while riding BART.
The district can and should do more to improve the safety of its public transit system and bolster rider protection. If you were sexually assaulted on BART, start your claim by reporting the incident to the police. Documenting the incident as much as possible can help you build a stronger civil lawsuit against the perpetrator and the district in charge of BART.
Next, contact Manly, Stewart & Finaldi for high-quality legal representation. You may be able to hold the district responsible for negligently failing to prevent sexual assault through adequate security. Holding an institution responsible for a sexual crime in San Francisco can result in greater financial compensation than a lawsuit against the offender alone.
Request a Free BART Sexual Assault Case Review Today
You aren’t alone as a victim of sexual assault on Bay Area Rapid Transit. The attorneys at Manly, Stewart & Finaldi can help you with every aspect of a claim against BART, from preserving and collecting evidence to filing the required claims paperwork. We are dedicated plaintiff’s attorneys with decades of experience specifically handling sexual assault and abuse cases. Discuss how our lawyers can help you with a BART sexual assault lawsuit today by calling (800) 700-8450 or contacting us online.