Sexual Assault at University of San Diego
If you are a survivor of sexual assault, abuse, rape or sexual misconduct at the University of San Diego (USD), help is available. The team of attorneys at Manly, Stewart & Finaldi is committed to advocating for the rights of victims throughout Southern California. We are a premier sexual abuse and assault law firm that always puts our clients first. We understand the hardship you are facing and respect the courage that it takes to come forward. Our lawyers will be your advocates and guides every step of the way.
Students at USD Can Face Many Types of Sexual Assault and Violence
Sexual assault at the University of San Diego can refer to many different inappropriate, unethical and criminal sexual acts and behaviors against a victim, both on campus and off campus. A student attending USD could be targeted for sexual assault by many different perpetrators, including fellow students and university staff members. Many different examples of sexual assault and abuse can take place at the university, including:
- Student-against-student sexual assault and violence
- Sexual abuse by professors and other faculty or staff
- On-campus and off-campus housing sexual assault
- Spousal rape or sexual assault by a romantic partner
- Sexual assault during extracurricular activities
- Sexual assault or rape while incapacitated by drugs or alcohol
- Sexualized bullying, cyberbullying, harassment or stalking
- Hazing or rushing involving sexual assault
- Sexual abuse or assault by a USD sports coach
- Sexual abuse by a medical provider at the Student Health Center
- Sexual assault by a guidance counselor
If you experience any type of sexual misconduct at the University of San Diego, get the help that you need by telling someone. This could be a friend, counselor, confidential hotline or administrators at the university. Get medical care promptly for any injuries, as well as to collect DNA evidence if you wish to press charges. File an official complaint against the perpetrator with the school as soon as possible. Then, consult with an attorney about your legal rights.
Can You File a Lawsuit Against the University of San Diego for Sexual Assault?
Yes, it is possible to sue the University of San Diego for sex crimes or assaults that you suffered during your time at the school, even years later. Universities have a responsibility to ensure the reasonable safety of students – including protecting them from sexual assault and abuse. If USD fell short of this duty of care, it could be held liable for the sexual abuse or assault of a student. The school could also be held vicariously liable for the inappropriate actions or conduct of one of its staff members.
Resources for Sexual Assault Victims at the University of San Diego
- For immediate help for emergency or life-threatening situations, call 911. You can also notify the USD Department of Public Safety at (619) 260-2222, ext. 2222.
- Campus Assault Resources and Education (CARE). The University of San Diego’s primary source of information, support, resources and crisis intervention for sexual abuse and assault survivors.
- Center for Community Solutions. Call the 24-hour hotline at (888) 385-4657 to schedule a sexual assault forensic exam within 120 hours (5 days) of the assault.
- USD Student Health Center. Visit the campus health center for a medical examination, STI and pregnancy testing, and other forms of support. Visiting does not require a police report. Call (619) 260-4595.
- USD Title IX Office. Report sexual assault to authorities at the school by filing a formal complaint with the Title IX Office. You can do this by visiting in person, emailing TitleIX@sandiego.edu or calling (619) 260-4594.
Get Help From an Experienced University Sexual Assault and Abuse Lawyer in San Diego
If you wish to know more about bringing a sexual assault civil lawsuit against the University of San Diego, schedule a free case consultation at Manly, Stewart & Finaldi to speak directly to an attorney. We have over 25 years of experience litigating sexual assault and abuse cases in California. In that time, we have collected over $2 billion in case results for our clients. We have successfully gone up against many schools, colleges and universities throughout the country. Request a free and confidential sexual assault case review in San Diego today by calling (800) 700-8450.