Oakland Workplace Sexual Abuse Attorney
Sexual abuse, assault or harassment in the workplace can disrupt more than just your career. It is a heinous crime that can lead to significant emotional distress, psychological harm and many negative impacts on your life. At Manly, Stewart & Finaldi, our Oakland workplace sexual abuse attorneys can help you stand up for your rights and demand justice for the grave wrongs committed against you. Contact us for a free, confidential consultation with an Oakland sexual assault attorney near you.
Examples of Workplace Sexual Abuse
Workplace sexual abuse can refer to many different crimes and offenses of a sexual nature committed in the workplace or while performing work-related tasks. Sexual abuse and misconduct can take place between an employer and his or her employee, two coworkers, a worker and a client or customer, and other parties. Common examples of this crime include:
- Sexually suggestive comments
- Verbal sexual harassment
- Quid pro quo (“this for that”) sexual harassment
- Hostile work environment
- Lewd and lascivious behavior
- Sexualized gestures or facial expressions
- Internet or virtual sexual harassment
- Inappropriate touching or massaging
- Fondling or groping
- Kissing, hugging or invasions of personal space
- Sexual assault in the workplace or at a work event
- Rape or attempted rape
Anything sexually inappropriate in your workplace could give you grounds to file a workplace sexual harassment or abuse claim in California. While male-against-female workplace sexual abuse is the most common example of this crime, men are also victims. If you experienced sexual harassment or assault in Oakland of any kind while you were at work in Oakland, consult with an attorney about your legal rights.
How to File a Workplace Sexual Abuse Claim in Oakland
First, report the incident to your employer right away. Ask the human resources department to file an official report. If you have any physical injuries or signs of assault on your person, go to a hospital within 120 hours (5 days) for a checkup, medical care and a sexual assault forensic exam. Talk to someone you can trust about what happened. Then, learn about your right to file a sexual abuse lawsuit by contacting an attorney.
Bringing a sexual abuse claim against your employer or someone else in your workplace requires identifying the defendant(s), filling out and filing the required forms, and proving your case using clear and convincing evidence. An attorney can help you with all of these stages while protecting your legal rights. Note that you are safe from employer retaliation – adverse employment action taken against you for reporting workplace sexual abuse. If you experience retaliation, a lawyer can help you file a separate lawsuit for this tort.
Resources for Victims of Workplace Sexual Abuse in Oakland, CA
- The City of Oakland Police Department. Call 911 if it is an emergency. Otherwise, report a sex crime and press charges against your perpetrator using the nonemergency line at (510) 777-3333.
- The National Sexual Assault Hotline. Call 1-800-656-4673 to have an anonymous chat with a trained sexual assault and abuse professional. This can help you cope with what happened and feel supported.
- A list of centers in California that can assist and support you during this difficult time, such as the Bay Area Women Against Rape Center in Oakland or the Highland Hospital SARRT (Sexual Assault Rapid Response Team).
- The Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC). You can file a complaint with the EEOC to request that an agent investigate your workplace sexual harassment, abuse or discrimination claim.
- The Civil Rights Department of the State of California (CRD). The CRD can evaluate the facts of your case and related legal issues, then attempt to resolve the dispute or take legal action against the perpetrator.
Request a Free, Confidential Case Evaluation in Oakland Today
For more information about your rights and what to do as a victim of workplace sexual abuse in Oakland, contact Manly, Stewart & Finaldi to schedule a free private case consultation. Our Oakland sexual abuse attorneys will help you get through this difficult time. Call (800) 700-8450 today to speak to an attorney.